Friday, October 30, 2009

Surviving the '4th Trimester'

Since the last post, Wyatt has turned 2 and 3 months old. We have officially survived the first 3 months of Wyatt's life, also known as the '4th Trimester'. These past 5 weeks we have survived his 2 month shots, feeding/sleeping schedule changes, more road trips, babysitting, first flights, first family vacation, and yes, even the first LSU loss this season.

Wyatt has been discovering many things. His hands, knees, feet, and his reflection in the mirror, for starters. It has been so exciting to watch the progression...first finding and staring at his hands, then finding and touching his left knee, then his right knee, and finally making it to his feet and toes. He has also discovered the animals on his bedding and on the wall border...he reaches out for them and touches them or looks at them and just smiles. It's like a whole new world in his crib. :) He is now enjoying our smiles, voices, and goofy faces :). And he is more aware of the dogs and their barks. I take him outside everyday and always introduce him to each one saying their name out loud...Shelby, Molly, and Edie (in that order since that is the order in which they appear). Shelby seems to show the most interest...the other 2 could probably care less. I mean, they probably feel very neglected so I can understand.



Road trips...we've been back to Weimar and Baton Rouge. The grandparents babysat Wyatt in Weimar for a few hours while Brent and I made our way over to Round Top for the antiques fair. I think it was more for them than for us. :) But they really enjoyed it and we found a couple of items for the house. When we got back, they were all napping on the bed. They survived, and we survived the time away from our little one. We left Weimar and headed to Austin to visit Brent's band and also for them to finally meet Wyatt. The trip to Baton Rouge was meant to be Wyatt's first tailgating experience at LSU (for the UF game). Sadly, it was raining that day (on and off) and we just didn't want to take him out there with my nephews and risk them getting sick. So we just stayed home to watch the game and we'll have to hold off on tailgating until next year. That same weekend Brent was off to Austin for the Oyster Adventure Race. It was also raining there but despite that, Brent had fun during the race. We survived our first weekend apart since Wyatt was born.



The most recent trip we took was to Colorado to visit the cabin we purchased earlier this year. It was our first official family vacation. Brent drove up with the dogs and I 'got to' fly with Wyatt. The flight over was great...he slept from the minute we left the house until we landed in Albuquerque (where Brent was going to pick us up). The way back was a different story...he cried from the minute we arrived to the airport until right about when we were going to take off (so at least he slept through the flight!). Thankfully, we survived both flights. So yes, Brent picked us up at the Albuquerque airport and then we drove the final 4 hours to Pagosa Springs together. We had a wonderful week in Colorado with Wyatt and the dogs. We didn't really have anything at the cabin (furniture and simple things like cookware, etc) so we took a trip to the Walmart in Durango and just bought the necessities for the week. We enjoyed the weather, the views, the surrounding areas, and of course, the cabin itself. The dogs totally enjoyed it also...I am glad they were all there with us. We explored a small (I mean REALLY small) part of the San Juan National Forest which is conveniently close to the cabin. There are so many opportunities there for future visits. I can't wait! We also took Wyatt to a pumpkin patch and to Wolf Creek (so Wyatt can experience snow for the first time). Don't think he liked the snow too much but it was his first time so I am sure that will change with time. :) The end of the week came too quickly and it was time for us to head back to reality. So yes, we survived our first family vacation.



In the beginning of October, Brent and I had the opportunity to spend an evening alone (well, not really alone, but without Wyatt). We went to the Kings of Leon show. A close friend graciously offered to watch Wyatt while we enjoyed ourselves. It was the first time a non-family member took care of him so I was a bit nervous and anxious but we did good...we didn't call once...and guess what, we all survived. :) I need to find some more babysitters out there so Brent and I can actually go out and have a nice peaceful dinner. Any volunteers?? LOL.

The first pumpkin patch experience in Colorado was not so great - Wyatt was cranky (as I would be if someone woke me up from my nap). So I made a second attempt and took him to one here in Houston. Yeah...well...he slept through the entire thing. I did everything but pinch him to wake him up with no success. Oh well. People seem to think he looked sweet regardless so the pictures I took will have to do. Third time's a charm?? Maybe try again tomorrow? We'll see.



In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy Wyatt's cooing and smiles and watching him develop some more. Only 2 more months left before I head back to work! It goes by sooooo fast...especially with the holidays coming up, January will be here before we know it. :(

0 comments: