Monday, July 20, 2009

Family Time and Preparations

The past couple of weeks have been pretty much days of preparation with a few opportunities to spend time with some family.

Last weekend we had the pleasure of meeting a couple of Brent’s cousins. We took them to Ruggles Cafe Bakery in the Village for lunch. We just talked and talked about the family in general - family members, events, and good past times. It’s always nice to hear the stories from generations and generations as they really make us appreciate our families so much. They are such wonderful people and I am glad we were able to get to know them even for just the short while we had to do so.



The night before, we enjoyed a very nice dinner at Churrascos. Can I just say “Oh My Goodness!!!”? Triple yum!! Of course, the Tres Leches was to die for, but the churrasco itself was remarkably delicious. The whole evening was pleasant…except for the fact that yet another person mentioned to me that I look like I am going to have a little girl!!! Really?? Not that there’s anything wrong with that but with all of the ultrasounds I’ve had….surely, they cannot be wrong about our little one’s ‘boy part’?? LOL.

A few days before that, Brent went to the Astros day game with his dad and brother and they enjoyed some quality time together. They had pretty awesome seats…right behind the visitor team’s dugout. Wow! And I believe the Astros won that game! Then, the two of us went to the Astros game the next evening with one of Brent's friends from San Antonio and that was also a good time. Go Astros! Another win!!



Last week, Brent decided to pull up the carpet in our bedroom so that was a mess for a few days. We were sleeping on the air mattress in the living room for a few nights since the guest room was full of stuff from our bedroom and we couldn’t get to the bed. So, I went in for a routine doctor appointment the next day (Wednesday) to find out that my blood pressure was elevated so the doctors were alarmed and immediately sent me over to Memorial Hermann for additional tests and some monitoring (apparently the high blood pressure combined with the swelling is a big no-no and they were worried about me having preeclempsia). Thankfully, my blood pressure went down and stayed that way during the entire monitoring period. All the tests they performed came back ok but still, it was definitely an eye opener for us. I realized I wasn’t prepared for the real thing! So, back at the office, I packed up my stuff…and back at the house, Brent was determined to get our bedroom back in order…you know, just in case. :) We picked out and bought paint for the walls so he got right on that over the weekend. Thankfully, his brother came over on Saturday and helped out (thank you Justin!!). Yesterday, (Sunday) was dedicated to cleaning the wood floors and then everything was back in the room before that evening (so at least we are now able to sleep in the guest room until the room airs out). And the doggies for sure know that something is just different. They are definitely going to miss the carpet!!! Regardless, the room looks great!!! Good work babe! ;) So, now I think we are a bit more organized at home and almost ready for the guests. Now, if we can just pick out a name for our Little Buddy!!!! :)



This last Saturday, a friend invited me to go with her to watch the new Cirque du Soleil show that came into town, Saltimbanco. It was wonderful…as always….never a disappointing Cirque performance. The things those people can do is just incredible. That evening though, it stormed like crazy! We totally needed the rain but when we arrived at the venue, the parking lot was flooded and the stadium had lost power. So we just had to wait a bit for the power to get restored. At least we didn’t have to go back home and miss the show! The show was really amazing and I am thankful for having the opportunity to go with my friend (thanks Shawn!!) before giving birth.

We grilled again as the weekend came to a close (steak and shrimp) and Brent’s brother came over to join in on the tradition. While we ate, I enjoyed listening to some interesting stories they had to tell. ;) Too funny. Loved the entertainment. We also took the opportunity to take a couple of pics of the two of us since we don’t have many pics of us together with the belly. :)



Anyway, I’ve been trying to take it easy…but it’s extremely hard! I just can’t sit still (which doesn't help the swelling). Neither of us can. And I am sure that is why I'm so tired and probably clumsy. Did I mention I got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago (I mean, I was going 40 in a 30...don't get too excited!) but then a week and a half ago I scraped someone's front bumper when I was trying to park and I also lost my debit card last week and then I almost rear-ended someone's car. Argh!! What else can go wrong these days?? I just need to rest and get some sleep (even though I am so uncomfortable). Soon, life will be soooooo different and I am sure I will be wishing I had taken the opportunity to relax when I had the time. Haha.

We are definitely getting close....and yes, we are ready!!! :)

0 comments: